Smashed Roosters with Crème Fraîche
We like the simplicity and freshness of this recipe. The Kosher salt can be replaced with Sea Salt or Lo Salt. The lemon peel adds a lightness to the dish that makes it hard to stop coming back for more. Check back regularly for these and other local family recipes including Champ, Colcannon, Potato Bread and Cottage Pie etc.
- In a large pot, place potatoes and enough cold water to cover by 2 inches.
- Add lemon peel and salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and gently boil until potatoes are tender, 25 minutes.
Drain and transfer potatoes to a large bowl; discard lemon peel.
- Add 3 tablespoons butter.
- Using a wooden spoon, lightly mash the Rooster potatoes, allowing some chunks to remain.
- Gently stir in crème fraîche and chives.
- Season with additional salt, if desired.
- Top with remaining butter, season with pepper, and garnish with chives
- 3¾ lb. Rooster potatoes
- Peel of 1 lemon
- 1½ tbsp. Kosher salt
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 1 c. Crème fraîche
- ¼ c. chopped chives
- Freshly ground pepper